Goshen Businesses: Past and Present
Andy Murphy bought the house owned by Gertrude Pace which was located at the crest of Old Road in 1950. He partnered with Frank Askew, a resident of Antigonish originally from Halifax, in a candy making venture.
They made candy in a renovated barn behind the house. The candy was made in large stainless steel bowls that were three feet deep. They delivered the candy to stores all over the Goshen area as well as taking orders on the road to Antigonish. They made fudge, hard candy, coconut cakes and ribbon candy. After a year of making candy, they sold their equipment to Merritt Feltmate in 1951.
Canteen and Barber Shop/Nova Scotia Power
Johnny O’Brien owned and operated a Canteen and Barber Shop for eleven years from his home in Goshen, starting in the mid-50’s. He later sold the building to Nova Scotia Light and Power.
Nova Scotia Power rented a small building from Merritt Feltmate, on the site of the original Store/Candy Factory, in the early 1960’s. In the late 1970’s they bought the property and building owned by Johnny O’ Brien and moved there for a number of years before moving to their present location in South Lochaber in 1983.
Sinclair’s Meat Market/Goshen Country Kitchen
Sinclair’s Meat Market was built in the summer of 1983, opening on September 23rd of that same year. They sold meats and groceries. A Sears Agency department moved into the market a few years later. Initially, Jimmy and Marie Sinclair worked in the market, and later, Bonnie Sinclair. Summer students were also hired. Renovations were made including a walk in cooler and a freezer.
Sinclair’s Meat Market closed in December of 2001. The building was rented to Susan Feltmate and remodelled to accommodate the Goshen Country Kitchen restaurant opened in April of 2002. Sears operated throughout the renovations. The Goshen Country Kitchen employed six people both full time and part time including summer students. This business closed in 2003.
Giffin’s Auto Repair
Wade Giffin opened Giffin’s Automotive Repair in 1983. The business is in its original location at 20965 Highway 316. Wade is the sole mechanic at the shop. Automotive repair is the main business but he also builds trailers and is an official motor vehicle inspection station for the province of Nova Scotia.
Scotian Heather Dolls
Scotian Heather Dolls was registered in 1989 as a business and was run from Joyce Feltmate’s house. In 1991 a new building was erected on route 316 housing Hope’s Crafts and Gifts on the main floor and Scotian Heather Dolls in the basement. Hope Bryden, Joyce Feltmate’s daughter, also taught tole painting and craft classes. Hope’s Crafts and Gifts closed in 1994 and Scotian Heather Dolls took over the whole building.