Goshen Churches

A United Baptist Church was established in Argyle in 1862. It was situated on the Nichols property across from what is now called “Roy’s Road” (N45 23.097 W061 56.436). Between 1915 and 1920 the church building was struck by lightning and destroyed by fire. It was one of three churches in the area. The others included Aspen (1846) and Country Harbour (1893). After the fire, worship services were held in the school at Eight Island Lake. Prayer meetings were held in local homes. Materials were purchased from the old Methodist Church in Cross Roads Country Harbour and moved to the newly proposed site overlooking the head of Pringle Lake. The building was never constructed. Goshen Gospel Church

Goshen Gospel

Goshen Gospel

In December of 1951 the foundation for the Goshen Gospel Church was poured by hand. The floor was laid in the summer of 1952 and in 1953 the walls were raised, the windows installed and the roof shingled. In 1954 the building was wired, the chimney and siding were installed and an oil stove was donated by Clifford Nichols. During the fall and winter months the interior was finished and painted. The pulpit and pews were constructed by Henry Nichols, William and Harold Hattie in Henry’s workshop in Goshen. Errington Cooke constructed and painted a sign bearing the church’s name. Many people in the area also volunteered their labour.In 1956 the new church building was completed and officially opened. The organ from the United Baptist congregation was moved into the building. New hymn books were purchased and a pulpit was donated. Late in 1959 a communion service was presented to the church by Dr. Allan Gibson.In the summer of 1956 a service dedication was held with Dr. Sidney of Kingston Bible College as guest speaker. The first Sunday school held in the church was organized by Cynthia Eaton in the spring of 1959 with Elizabeth Newell and Annie Hattie as helpers. The first Vacation Bible School was directed by Lic. David Watt in 1960.The Church lost its full time Pastor and was not in use when in 1981, Michael Streek, a member of Village Missions, spotted the vacant church and pursued the chance to hold services.The Village Missions organization supplied the Goshen Gospel Church with Pastors from 1981 until 1996 and again from 1998-2000.In July of 1983 the original building was raised and placed on a new full basement. This allowed the construction of a larger entry, a bathroom, Sunday School rooms, and a kitchen in the basement. A parsonage, was added in 1985, a mini home placed on a gift of land in Goshen close to Grover Rd. In 1987 a steeple was built which houses a bell donated by Mr. Jack Mahoney. In 1998, a new basement and outer shell were constructed at the back of the building; there was no room to expand on the front due to the closeness of the road. The basements were connected with a door and new bathrooms were constructed as well as a large meeting room suitable for Adult Sunday School. 1999 saw the purchase of an adjacent property, made into a parking lot.

In 2000, the new addition was completed and the floor plan of the church was reversed. The front of the church became the rear with a lower platform. The main entry was made into a study for the Pastor with the front door remaining. The new entry at the back has a large foyer, two bathrooms, three extra pews and a media center.

Pastor’s at Goshen Gospel (Mission) Church

Michael Streek……………………………………………………………………….…1981

Brian Wheaton (wife Eva)…………………………………………………………1982-1984

Walter Dueck (wife Elaine, children: Jeff, Kara, Anthony)………1985-1992

John VanKesteren (wife Bonnie)………………………………………………1992-1996

Robert Crichton (interm) (wife Betty)………………………………………1996

Chesley MacKenzie (wife Darlene)……………………………………………1996-1997

Jim Fletcher (wife Jan, children: Jillian, Joseph)………………………1998-2000

John Luten (wife Laurie)…………………………………………………………..2000-current(2010)

 

 

Loch Katrine Church

Loch Katrine Church

Settlers began to arrive in the area from Scotland in 1801 and they built the first church in 1823, called “The Kirk”. The church was located about three miles back in the woods from the crossroads to Locharbor, Middleton, Loch Katrine and Pinevale in a spot called “the swamp”. The first Pastors of the church were Rev. Alex MacGilvary (1823-1835), Rev. Donald McConichie (1835 – 1839) and Rev. Hugh MacKenzie (1839 – 1842). In 1843 controversy in Scotland between the “Free Church” and “The Kirk” reached across the sea. In 1843 a church was built in Copper Lake for people who declared themselves of the “Free Church”. Rev. Alex Campbell was the Pastor of the new church until 1863. There’s no record of another pastor until the Rev. John Franklin Forbes in 1867. Rev. Forbes made the decision to build two new Churches, one in Lochaber and another in Loch Katrine. The cost of these two buildings would be eight thousand dollars. In 1868 a meeting was held at the Burns Church in Locharbor at which time the congregation agreed to raise the sum of six hundred pounds which was required to build the church. George Hattie was to be paid ten pounds for building lots. Trustees Donald Sinclair, Hugh MacNeil and Dougald MacMillan were to stake out the site, get a deed from Mr. Hattie and have it recorded. Charles Cameron and Hector Grant were appointed to confer with the Kirk party.
In 1915, the area’s first telephone system was installed and by 1918 arrangements were being made to get water into the building. In 1926, R.A. Patterson became Minister after going a year without one. Throughout the war years, families who had lost members used the church as comfort. The church reached out to the community and many were grateful that the church was there. From 1929 to 1939, the Rev. B.R. Tupper served the church.It took one year to finish construction of the church; the building committees appointed were Simon Sinclair, Hugh K. Sinclair, William Forbes, Donald MacNeil, Charles Cameron, Allan Cameron, Alex Hattie and Hugh Grant. In January of 1869 the church opened and on February 3rd the first meeting was held in the new church. In the meeting it was decided that the new church would be called “King’s Church”. In 1870 a “Burying site” was laid out near the church. In 1885 Rev. J.F. Forbes left the area when called to Durham, Pictou Co. Rev. H.K McLean was the next pastor and Rev. A.J. MacDonald after that leading into the twentieth Century. At the turn of the century an organ was purchased for the church. No musical instrument was used before this time. Between 1901 and 1941 finances were poor for the church. Rev. A.A. McLeod served the church from 1909-1914 and he was also very instrumental in organizing a cooperative, a creamery, and agricultural society.

In 1936, the Congregation changed the name of the church from Union Center to Loch Katrine United but the Kings church was unchanged. From 1971-1986, several student ministers served the area. There was consideration of amalgamation with St. Mary’s pastoral charge; but this idea was dismissed in 1977. In 1971, Kings church had its first black clergyman Rev. Charles Swan; its first clergywoman, Marion Stewart, served from 1982-1986. On August 19, 2000 a cairn was unveiled at the site of the original Kirk in the woods with the inscription:

At this location stood the log Presbyterian Kirk which served the first settlers of the area circa 1823-1869

“I was glad when he said unto me let us go into the house of the lord”

goshen-Manse

 

casket-part-1

085_picnik

Ministers from 1867 to 1989

The Presbyterian Church Of Canada

Visiting clergy who served the church prior to 1833

Dr. James MacGregor

Rev. Thomas Trotter

Rev. Alexander Lewis

J.F. Forbes 1867-1886

H.K. MacLean 1886-1893

A.J. MacDonald 1895-1901

S.D. MacPhee 1902-1904

D.J. Nicholson 1905-1908

A.A. MacLeod1909-1914

A.D. MacDonald 1914-1921

H.S. Raynor 1922-1925

The United Church of Canada

(information on the formation of the United Church of Canada http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0008224)

R.A. Patterson 1926-1929

B.R. Tupper 1929-1939

W.G. MacDonald 1939-1942

John Douglas 1943-1945

W.B. MacLean 1945-1946

D.S. MacLeod 1946-1951

J.P. MacLean 1951-1956

W.H. Palmer 1956-1958

B.L. Zinck 1958-1960

E.W. Pace 1960-1964

F.B. Jenkins 1964-1967

M.C. Grant 1967-1971

Charles A. Swan 1971-1972

Brian DeLong 1972-1974

Leander Mills 1974-1977

Cyril Chaulk 1977-1979

Ray Kraglund 1979-1982

Marian Stewart 1982-1986

David Cleveland 1986-1989

Shelagh McCulloch-Taylor 1989-1996

Robert D. Manly 1997-2000

No full time minister July 2000-June 2001

Donald Sutherland 2000-2001

Flora Christie 2001-2003

Lay Persons Nov. 2003-Feb. 2004

Keith Selwyn-Smith, LPMIT 2004-Present(2010)