Most men in Lincolnville worked in the woods cutting pulp at one time or another. They also travelled farther afield to work as stevedores on the freight boats that came in to Mulgrave.
Arthur Henry Reddick, father of Alonzo Reddick (born in 1935), worked most of his life as a manual labourer for Charlie Pile in Boylston. He planted, harvested, cut wood and did whatever needed to be done for the Pile family.
Willie Desmond was a carpenter; he helped build many houses in the community. He built a piece on the Reddick house during war time in the 1940’s.
Warren Sheppard spent most of his working life in the woods. He describes himself as, “King on a power saw”, He could write his name on a post or a stick. Mr. Sheppard also worked on pulp and freight boats in Mulgrave and at Maritime Steel in New Glasgow.
Most women in Lincolnville worked as domestics in the homes around Boylston. They walked to Boylston and back each day often carrying baskets of work with them to do along the way. Alonzo Reddick‘s mother Laura, would knit one sock on her way to work and knit the other on the way back.
The baskets were also necessary to carry food stuffs that were often given to them by their employers.
The story has been told that in the winter time a man from Lincolnville would roll a barrel full of infinitely smaller barrels, like a Russian doll, in front of the ladies going to work in Boylston, to pat down the snow and make their way into town easier.
Masonic Lodge and Lions Club
Alonzo Reddick and some other members of the community belonged to the Lions Club and the Masonic Lodge in Guysborough.
Alonzo has been a Mason for 15 years and has served in almost every post available within the lodge and was recently given a medal for his service. He was brought into the lodge by James Clyke although he had been invited to join years ago by George Starrett of Guysborough village. Other members of the African Nova Scotian community that belonged to the Guysborough Masons are: Rev. Donald Thomas, Howie Lawrence, and John Reddick.
Food and Supplies
Most people worked in Boylston for .50 cents a day and had their own self sustaining farms in the 1930’s and 40’s. Sugar was 4c a pound, kerosene 15 cents a gallon, molasses was less than a dollar a gallon, and butter 15c a pound. The people bought what they couldn’t grow but small household farms produced potatoes, vegetables, and meat.
Alonzo Reddick mentioned to me that, Most people lived off the land when he was a kid, today they live off a shelf at the store. Every property in Lincolnville had a fence and cattle. Everyone had pasture for the animals; horses, cows, and oxen.
Christie MacDonald had a thrasher and a sawmill that came into the community. The sawmill ran off an engine hauled on a truck wagon. It was called a make and break engine. It took 5 or 6 men to pull the belt to get it started. Christie MacDonald travelled from farm to farm in the village.
Lincolnville was a community numbering 200 or more people in the 1940’s. The years have seen many people move out of the area leaving only 50 or so people in Lincolnville as of 2010. Alonzo Reddick was born in Lincolnville and spent his entire life in the community; he’s never lived anywhere else although his love of travel has taken him visiting many distant places.
In the past, according to Mr. Reddick, people would help each other out but these days people are less likely to come running when you call. The community was self-sustaining in the past.
In the early days, most of Lincolnville’s entertainment/recreation was held at the old community centre which opened in the mid 1960s. The community centre was known to be the heart of the community because it brought everyone together to have fun. Some entertainment/recreation held at the community centre were, Bingo games that were held occasionally, cake sales, picnics and dances. During the holidays, the members of the community would host concerts were the church choir would come out and sing a few hymns followed by a lunch. Nuns would also come to the community centre to teach pottery classes to the people of Lincolnville.
In the mid 1950’s Father Anthony from St. Monica’s Church got a band to come to Lincolnville called, “ABC” which stood for, “Ash, Borden & Croxen”. The members of the band played various music types and were part of Lincolnville’s history for 7 years.
The present Community Centre came to Lincolnville in 1990. Part of it was a store operated at one time by Alonzo Reddick. The present community centre was relocated to where it is standing today in the early 1990’s. In 2008 the community Centre was renovated and the C@P Site was installed. In November 2010 a playground was installed beside the community centre. The playground was funded and constructed by the Municipality of Guysborough.
In 1942, the first Postal Office was located in the home of Bessie Reddick. As the years went on, the postal office became too busy for Mrs. Reddick and was transferred into another couples home. There were no Rural boxes until the late 1970s.
From the 1930’s to about the early 1950’s the only means of transportation was on foot or Horse and Wagon. In a year unknown, the first car to come to Lincolnville was owned by Sam Reddick and later on a new car came to Lincolnville and that was owned by Alexander Reddick.