Upper Big Tracadie Industry
A horse drawn ice cutter worked on Tracadie Lake, also call Linwood Lake. Workmen retrieved the ice blocks measuring about 2 feet and hauled them by horse and sleigh to Monastery Station. The ice was then shipped to Mulgrave storage depot and stored in an ice house buried in sawdust. The electrification of towns and villages (early 1940`s) brought modern conveniences such as refrigerators which put an end to this business.
Pulp wood and Pitprops
Pulp wood was cut locally and loaded on freight trains in Monastery in the 1930′s and 1940′s. Pitprops, pulp wood cut specifically for the purpose of serving as mine support beams, were cut in the area and shipped by train to mines throughout the province.
Workers from Upper Big Tracadie worked in mills located nearby in Merland owned by the Breen family and at Grosvenor owned by the Somers family in the 1930′s and 1940′s.
In 1959 the Stora Pulp Mill in Point Tupper was under construction. Construction and operation of the mill, beginning in 1961, brought jobs into the Upper Big Tracadie area.